Meet Me at La Tomatina, The World’s Biggest Food Fight

This could be you! Or me. But hopefully you!

I always have a list of places I want to go, usually because I have a friend I’d like to visit or because I’ve heard a place is really nice. But I also have a list of travel things I want to *do*.

For example, I’d like to celebrate New Year’s in Times Square, check out a viking festival in Iceland and learn to surf in Australia.

(I did take a surf lesson in Byron Bay once. It was a disaster, but it was long enough ago now that I’ve deluded myself into thinking that if I tried it again, I would be a natural.)

La Tomatina in Buñol, Spain has been at the top of my must-do list for a while now. It’s a massive food fight held on the last Wednesday of August every year.

You may have guessed from the name that the food being flung in this fight is tomatoes – more than 100 tons of them. It’s messy, crazy and incredibly fun – at least according to the friends I’ve talked to who have been there.

This year my Aussie friends have decided to go back for more flinging, and I’m joining them! Woo hoo! Tips on how to best do La Tomatina are welcome, and I can’t wait to share my experience with you.

Sure, there are other traditional events I could enjoy in Spain, but given the choice between running with bulls who might make big holes in me or having shirtless men cover me in tomato goo, I’ll take the goo.

Meet Me at La Tomatina, The World’s Biggest Food Fight « Student Travel: Cheap Thrills from Around the World

Popular Posts