Daylight Savings Time 2011: Longer Days, Later Bedtimes

This Sunday, we’ll springforward ahead, but lose an hour in the process, so while I am thrilled that after this cold and snowy winter to finally be entering the spring season, we’ll also lose and hour. For some, daylight savings time proves to be more hazardous. There are more reports of increased traffic and workplace accidents. Some say heart attacks rise during this time. Generally speaking, the biggest obstacle is a lackof sleep in our already sleep deprived culture. For our family, it’s not somuch the hour that’s theproblem as it is adjusting to it being daylight longer each day. Somehow the change doesn’t faze me quite as much as it did back when my kids werebabies and toddlers. Back then, it was torturous to get the kids in bed on time. I would usually put a toddler down at 7:30pm for the night but once it started to stay light out, it became more difficult for them to calm down and go to sleep. Right before bathtime, I woulddraw the curtains and try to make the room as dark as possible so they wouldn’t object to goingto bed. It often worked except those few times when the wind would blow just enough to ripple thedrape and cause the small drop of sunlight to appear. Then I’d hear, “the sun is still up, why do I have to go to bed?” But like I said, it worked most of the time when they were very young and just learning how tospeak and tell time. (Click here for 5 great tips to surviving daylight savings time with your family.)

Popular Posts