Two Chicks and a Hen: Spring Equinox Celebrations

Despite the fact that we have snow showers predicted for four out of the next ten days (Oh, Montreal...), we are mentally plowing right into spring. The chicks were with their dad for the weekend, so in between working (both on editing and on a fun, upcoming project), a bit of socializing, and some cleaning, I got us ready for spring, starting with a super easy sewing project--a spring bunting:


I'm a little on the fence about the colors; I can't decide if it says "spring," or if it says "Easter," which is not exactly what I was going for. Maybe I'll leave this up until Easter and then switch it out for something else.

After the chicks returned, I sent them on a treasure hunt, using these clues:


Do you ever make treasure hunts? I love them. I always accidentally call them "scavenger hunts," but I don't think that's what I mean. I mean the type of hunt during which you read a clue that leads you to the next clue, and so on, until you find the treasure. I set them up for the kids every so often. I secretly have fun writing and hiding the clues, and the chicks, particularly Ninna, really love looking for them. Ninna still very much loves any kind of game that involves hiding and seeking/searching, so a treasure hunt is right up her alley.

When one of the clues sent them over to the kitchen table, Ninna excitedly asked if the new spring tablecloth was the prize. I thought smugly about how appreciative my children are, but then when the next clue sent them to their clothesline, she excitedly asked "oh, did you wash our pajamas?" I try not to laugh out loud at my children unless they're intentionally being funny, but I couldn't hold it in. Are my cleaning skills really that bad that she would get that excited about clean pajamas? I think I'd prefer not to hear the answer.

The treasure was neither a tablecloth nor clean laundry; it was a couple of new spring books I had been saving for this occasion. I put away the winter books from our seasonal book basket and replaced them with the spring ones, which now includes the "treasure" books:


And we planted our ceremonial first seeds:

The traditional planting period in Montreal is the long weekend associated with Victoria Day, which this year is May 21st-23rd. This means that the seeds that need to be started 8-10 weeks before planting day need to be started now, and we can start on some of the 6-8 week ones as well. I still don't have a concrete gardening plan for this year, so we just started with basil (which technically is not an 8-10 week seed) and impatiens from saved seeds, mainly just to get something in the dirt. The leftover bags of soil from last year were frozen solid in the garage, so we had to pick at them with shovels to get enough dirt to fill our (re-used for the third time) seedling containers.

Via Two Chicks and a Hen: Spring Equinox Celebrations

Popular Posts